Minutes 9 March

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Mar 9 16:10:16 EDT 2015

On 2015-03-09 14:05, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> And we're up to date!
>
> Present: Ken, Ellie, Jeroen, Bron - small group today!
>
> New changes:
> * BDB removed from tree entirely - YAY

As a matter of process, our ace needed not to do the work, rather just
approve the proposed change. There's mere mortals like myself that can
run in a couple of circles and do the various tidbits.

> It's easy to build docker images just given a COMMIT (actually ref) -
> so we can do integration tests on the 2.5 tree too.

Rephrase: Run Docker containers based on the images we distribute.
Environment variables are the key, and they're documented at:

   https://docs.cyrus.foundation/imap/developer/docker.html

This makes it *WAY EASY* for RPM aficionado's to run APT* systems, and
vice-versa, including unit and functional tests.

I hope the documentation is clear but I love it being Docker containers
-- no going through an installer any longer, no nurturing any VMs you
want to keep around because you've fiddled with them to get them to
work.

> Will be easier with committer privs - Ellie given privs to write
> directly to git.c.f trees.  In general, be liberal with commit bit,
> and slap people who do bad things with it.  We can always revert code.

Side-note(s):

   * All committers are allowed to add new members to the committers
groups they are a member of -- this way, it's a "by invitation" system
of anyone already "blessed", and we can open up the generic "IMAP"
project for *everyone* to join (and get the news and progress and alerts
and such).

   * Committers should consider opting in to Reviewers. If you don't know
what groups there are:

     https://git.cyrus.foundation/project/query/all/

     "Reviewers" are the ones being spammed with approval requests like
the ones submitted to "Differential" [1].

   * Even though one may be a "committer", the use of "Differential" [1]
is still available -> "D6" [2] is one such example.

> Docs:
> * all manpages need attention - verbiage used.

I've submitted a "Pholio Mock" [3] in which I (attempt to) show how
man-pages could potentially be generated from the online documentation.
I'm afraid I have not yet found out how to generate online documentation
from the (manually maintained by developers) man/* pages in the Cyrus
IMAP git repository.

> * lib/imapoptions - generated imapd.conf.5 which includes all options,
> even those not compiled in.
>   -> again, I want to fix that by just not allowing so much
> conditional compilation dammit.  Go get the libs already.  Otherwise
> online docs are a pain, and users get confused if their distro didn't
> compile in something they want.

It is often not libs that are the problem, as may also be illustrated in
the first "important" segment of the automatic mailbox creation feature
[4].

That is to say, that this is not solely limited to `--with-ldap=/usr`
building in ptclient/ldap.c, or even just the availability of an
--enable-autocreate.

In general, we need to move to "what is available (on the system / in
the build root), we'll use". But the conundrum is in suppressing
lib/imapoptions resulting in all its options included in imapd.conf(5),
along with those things that are not built in -- just like there's a
conundrum in having "make check" skip any BDB tests if "./configure
--with-bdb=no" was issued -- I know, BDB is the wrong example by now :P

> Next meeting is same time UTC and Melbourne:
>
> 2015-03-11T22:00:00Z
>
> (9am Thursday in Melbourne, 6pm now in US East)
>
> This is going to be getting late for Europe, so we'll talk again about
> what to do when Australia moves in a few weeks.

We both move positively toward one another for the northern hemisphere's
summer -- your DST and ours gets you some 8 instead of some 10 hours
ahead of us.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

[1] https://git.cyrus.foundation/differential/