Expunged mail files left 'on disk'?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Fri Jul 5 06:48:17 EDT 2013

--On 05 July 2013 12:20 +0200 Sebastian Hagedorn <Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de>
wrote:

> From the manpage:
>
>        -X expunge-duration
>               Expunge  previously  deleted  messages  older  than
> expunge-duration (when using the "delayed"
>               expunge mode).  Format is the same as delete-duration.
>
> We use "cyr_expire -E 3 -X 3 -D 3".

Ok, I'll give that a go...

> Well, that depends on the distribution:

lol - I got that info from the man page on our system (FreeBSD) - reading
it it seems to imply 'delete files at expunge time' - but it's not actually
doing it...

> No. So I'm guessing that your delete_mode actually isn't immediate.
> There's no harm in using cyr_expire with the additional flags, but you
> could also add "delete_mode: immediate" to your imapd.conf if you want to
> be sure.

I'll give the expire a go - and bear it in mind (we found this having
migrated a lot of mail, running fdupes against it threw up a load of
"What's that still doing there?" questions.

The old system we came off (FreeBSD imap 2.3.x) was definitely 'immedate'
delete on expunge, hence the confusion...

Thanks for your reply, like I said - I'll give the expire flags a go, and
if we have to - I'll set the expunge_mode instead,

Regards,

-Karl