Expunged mail files left 'on disk'?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Mon Jul 8 11:59:36 EDT 2013

--On 05 July 2013 12:20 +0200 Sebastian Hagedorn <Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de>
wrote:

> No. So I'm guessing that your delete_mode actually isn't immediate.
> There's no harm in using cyr_expire with the additional flags, but you
> could also add "delete_mode: immediate" to your imapd.conf if you want to
> be sure.

Hi,

I tried running the cyr_expire, with the suggested flags (i.e. -X 3 et'al)
- this unfortunately has done nothing :(

For example, I ran it on my own mailbox - according to an IMAP client I
have  161 messages in my inbox. However, "on disk" there are 2,952 'message
files' in my Inbox directory (i.e. under spool/users).

I ran 'cyr_expire -E 3 -X 3 -D 3 -v -p user.kpielorz' - and it returned:

"
Expunging deleted messages in mailboxes older than 3.00 days

Expunged 0 out of 140004 messages from 78 mailboxes
"

After that, I still have 2,952 messages in my spool directory - it's like
no deletion happened? The oldest message in the spool directory (that
doesn't show as an email in the client) is weeks old now.

It looks like since we moved to 2.4.17 no messages have been removed from
disk. Even if I set the 'immediate' delete option now in imapd.conf - I'm
going to be left with potentially thousands of files hanging around, if I
can't get cyr_expire to delete them :(

Any suggestions? - Is there any more debug output I can get out of
cyr_expire?

Thanks,

-Karl