Expunged mail files left 'on disk'?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Fri Jul 5 06:20:17 EDT 2013

--On 5. Juli 2013 10:31:36 +0100 Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk>
wrote:

> -On 04 July 2013 15:23 +0200 Sebastian Hagedorn <Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de>
> wrote:
>
>> What do you have for cyr_expire in your cyrus.conf? And what for
>> expunge_mode in imapd.conf? Those settings determine how expunged mails
>> are handled.
>
> For cyr_expire (in cyrus.conf) - I have:
>
>  delprune      cmd="cyr_expire -E 3" at=0400

>From the manpage:

       -X expunge-duration
              Expunge  previously  deleted  messages  older  than
expunge-duration (when using the "delayed"
              expunge mode).  Format is the same as delete-duration.

We use "cyr_expire -E 3 -X 3 -D 3".

> I have no setting for 'expunge_mode' in imapd.conf - having checked,
> "Immediate" mode is the default behavior in which the message files and
> cache entries are purged at the time of the EXPUNGE"

Well, that depends on the distribution:

       delete_mode: delayed
            The manner in which mailboxes are deleted. "immediate" mode is
the the mode in  which  mailboxes
            are removed immediately.  In "delayed" mode, mailboxes are
renamed to a special hiearchy defined
            by the "deletedprefix" option to be removed later by cyr_expire.

       Note: This Invoca RPM build uses delayed by default instead of
immediate for delete_mode.

> I didn't realise cyr_expire did anything other than expire the duplicate
> supression stuff - and I didn't know 'expunge_mode' existed.
>
> Having said that - would the 'cyr_expire' line above (and the apparent
> 'default to immediate') explain why the files are remaining behind?

No. So I'm guessing that your delete_mode actually isn't immediate. There's
no harm in using cyr_expire with the additional flags, but you could also
add "delete_mode: immediate" to your imapd.conf if you want to be sure.
--
    .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121 (Gebäude 133), Zimmer 2.02.:.
                 .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.