commit "mboxevent: Rewrite JSON formatting"

Greg Banks gnb at fastmail.fm
Fri Aug 24 04:51:45 EDT 2012

Sent from my iPhone

On 15/08/2012, at 2:40, Дилян Палаузов<dilyan.palauzov at aegee.org> wrote:

> Hello Michel,
>
> according to my understanding, there are no strict rules what goes in libcyrus, libcyrus_min and libcyrus_imap .  I am not aware of a guidelines, describing in which library to include what kind of file. While working on getting Automake/libtool in cyrus-imapd, I moved some files between libcyrus and libcyrus_min according to how I felt the things.

I think we should definitely come up with a written definition of these and encode it in the Cyrus docs. The current situation is way too confused.

Here's my idea of what the splits should be.

The split between libcyrus_imap and the others is that it contains higher level "model" code, i.e. mailboxes, messages, and the like. The others contain "utility" code, strings and the like. There are some grey areas and some arguably misplaced code, eg parseaddr.c.

The split between libcyrus and libcyrus_min is more easily defined: if the master process needs it to link, it must be in libcyrus_min, otherwise it must be in libcyrus.

This strongly minimizes the amount of code in the master process, which is necessary because the master process cannot be upgraded gracefully in place (most of the other processes such as imapd will detect when their binary has been overwritten and exit so that master can restart them, but master itself cannot do this).

By this definition we have a major problem where lib/util.c drags in a lot of unnecessary stuff into master.  That needs fixing, presumably by splitting up util.c.

We also have several other daemons that cannot be gracefully upgraded in place, notably idled. That also needs fixing.

> lib/parseaddr.c is used within libcyrus_sieve and imap/, so having it in the common library libcyrus seems logical.  I do not know, why iostat.c is part of libcyrus.

I think parseaddr should be part of libcyrus_imap; it's clearly a domain model object. I also think libcyrus_sieve should just use more things from libcyrus_imap instead of reimplementing them badly or delegating them to poorly implemented callbacks. My work on the search branch will help move us in that direction by providing a useful message abstraction.

> If nobody else expresses opinion, whether to put xjson in libcyrus or libcyrus_imap, it is up to you.  I just told you my opinion.

My 2c: JSON code is a utility and should go in libcyrus.