SPECIAL-USE (was: Re: Cyrus CalDAV design decision)

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Fri Sep 9 11:14:44 EDT 2011

Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> On Thursday 08 September 2011 10.19:53 Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> > - A Cyrus IMAP CalDAV folder containing iCalendar data could have
> >
> > SPECIAL-USE  attributes:
> >   \Calendar \iCal [\Default]
> >   \iCal could be the defined default for a folder marked with SPECIAL-USE
> >
> > attribute \Calendar.
> >
> > - A Kolab Groupware calendar folder could have SPECIAL-USE attributes:
> >   \Calendar \KolabXML [\Default]
>
> Indeed, although I still see the bigger issue with the /shared/ and
> /private/ namespaces. You'd definitely want \Calendar \iCal \KolabXML to
> live in the /shared/ namespace, but \Default for instance should live in
> the /private/ namespace, preferably.
>
> Right now the RFC only mentions the /private/ namespace

It does that because it seems to only concern the list of defined attributes
(and doesn't open the floor for new attributes to be added to the list?).

Hence I was asking who was more familiar then I am with the processes in IETF
to see what, if anything at all, we can do about it -including some of the
other things that would then be required, such as valid or certain
combinations of SPECIAL-USE attributes requiring or recommending clients treat
such folder in a certain way, and conflict resolution / prioritization of
private, shared and for cases where multiple folders are marked with some
SPECIAL-USE attribute such \Drafts.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--