SPECIAL-USE (was: Re: Cyrus CalDAV design decision)

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Fri Sep 9 09:16:11 EDT 2011

On Thursday 08 September 2011 10.19:53 Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> - A Cyrus IMAP CalDAV folder containing iCalendar data could have
> SPECIAL-USE  attributes:
>   \Calendar \iCal [\Default]
>   \iCal could be the defined default for a folder marked with SPECIAL-USE
> attribute \Calendar.
> - A Kolab Groupware calendar folder could have SPECIAL-USE attributes:
>   \Calendar \KolabXML [\Default]

Indeed, although I still see the bigger issue with the /shared/ and /private/
namespaces. You'd definitely want \Calendar \iCal \KolabXML to live in the
/shared/ namespace, but \Default for instance should live in the /private/
namespace, preferably.

Right now the RFC only mentions the /private/ namespace, though, and so I
suspect that is what servers implement. Also it lacks rules for conflict
resolution between /shared/ and /private/ shared-use annotations, e.g. what if
the /shared/ annotation has \Archive set and the /private/ annotation \Trash?

We'd probably need to define which of the values are conflicting, which are not,
and then define which shared-use value survives on conflict. My guess is that
/private/ should override /shared/ but there may be more to it than that.

Any input?

Best regards,
Georg

--