SPECIAL-USE (was: Re: Cyrus CalDAV design decision)

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Thu Sep 8 05:19:53 EDT 2011

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) wrote:
> I think the RFC for SPECIAL-USE lacks the suffix '.default' we currently
> use in /vendor/kolab/folder-type (example value 'event.default') to
> indicate which folder is the default folder to save new messages that have
> a calendar event XML object attached to it.
>
> I'm not sure the extension options listed in the RFC allow the addition of
> '.default' without providing additional requirements, recommendations and
> rationale.
>
> Also, suppose we were to propose \Calendar[.default], I'm not sure that
> appropriately indicates in what format the folder contents are expected to
> be in. Perhaps a \calendar[.kolab[.default]] is justified, where the Cyrus
> IMAP CalDAV folder could have a \calendar.ical -or somesuch.

Continuing my line of thought, naturally there has not to be a divider such as
a '.'; one can set multiple SPECIAL-USE attributes to a folder, such that:

- A Cyrus IMAP CalDAV folder containing iCalendar data could have SPECIAL-USE
attributes:

  \Calendar \iCal [\Default]

  \iCal could be the defined default for a folder marked with SPECIAL-USE
attribute \Calendar.

- A Kolab Groupware calendar folder could have SPECIAL-USE attributes:

  \Calendar \KolabXML [\Default]

I suppose the requirements and guidelines for combinations of SPECIAL-USE
attributes and client implementations are something significant enough to
consider, though I'm not sure I can find the section in the RFC that allows
requesting new entries the list SPECIAL-USE attributes. Would this new
proposition, if we can form some consensus on the topic, be a new RFC to
extend 6154? Can somebody more familiar with IETF processes help me out here?

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Senior Engineer, Kolab Systems AG