Coding standards / spaces vs tabs

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 20 22:05:04 EDT 2010

commit 6a9be341d3de4cff9f548bfb0c26546f1a4b2605
Author: Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com>
Date:   Wed Oct 20 13:21:00 2010 +0100

    Make sure that sieve scripts use \r\n before saving them, so that multiline responses with different

    Also, remove the mixed use of tabs and spaces (I used 4 spaces to a tab) and indent accordingly for t

    Fixes bug #3054.

----------

This is the kind of thing that we really need coding
standards for.  The prevailing spacing standard for
the cyrus codebase is:

one indent == 4 spaces
leading sets of 8 spaces == 1 tab

So the indent looks like

[4 spaces]
[1 tab]
[1 tab][4 spaces]
[2 tabs]

Now I happen to think this is approximately one of the
shittiest coding standards ever - but unless we all
agree to change it, rewriting functions to use different
indentation styles is counterproductive.

So please don't.

Thanks,

Bron.

P.S. Here's what I use in vim to make life worth living.
It makes tabs visible, and lets me indent blocks quickly
by 4 characters while creating the correct tabs.

set tabstop=8
set softtabstop=4
set shiftwidth=4
set listchars=tab:>-