"Cyrus IMAP4" to "Cyrus IMAP" accidental change of greeting?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Apr 2 10:58:11 EDT 2009

Am Mittwoch, 1. April 2009 13:46:16 schrieb Ken Murchison:
> I don't recall if this change was intentional or accidental,

Okay, I just wanted to point it out.

> but I  wouldn't recommend trying to use any free-form banner information to
> determine a server's capability.  In fact, some Cyrus servers might not
> even include "Cyrus" in the banner if folks turn the "serverinfo" option
> off.

I know this is suboptimal, but still some clients might still do it.

> The proper way to detect the presence of shared seen state is the
> following (don't forget that shared seen state is per-mailbox):
>
> Check for ANNOTATEMORE in the CAPABILITIES
>
> If not present, then no shared seen state.
>
> Otherwise,
>
> GETANNOTATION <mboxname> "/vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/sharedseen" "value"
>
> If you get an empty response, then no shared seen state.  Otherwise, the
> value will tell you if its enabled on the given mailbox.

This would answer the wrong question, we want to detect if the server is able
to run in shared seen state. if it does we can offer a configuration option,
otherwise we do not.

I do not know if there is a different test method that could answer this
question. It is not feasable to try to set the annotation on a  test folder
for each connection IMO. So best would be if there would be a SHAREDSEEN
or so capability.