"Cyrus IMAP4" to "Cyrus IMAP" accidental change of greeting?

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Apr 1 07:46:16 EDT 2009

I don't recall if this change was intentional or accidental, but I
wouldn't recommend trying to use any free-form banner information to
determine a server's capability.  In fact, some Cyrus servers might not
even include "Cyrus" in the banner if folks turn the "serverinfo" option
off.

The proper way to detect the presence of shared seen state is the
following (don't forget that shared seen state is per-mailbox):

Check for ANNOTATEMORE in the CAPABILITIES

If not present, then no shared seen state.

Otherwise,

GETANNOTATION <mboxname> "/vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/sharedseen" "value"

If you get an empty response, then no shared seen state.  Otherwise, the
value will tell you if its enabled on the given mailbox.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer