Cyrus 2.3.10 RC2

Rudy Gevaert Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be
Fri Oct 12 06:11:37 EDT 2007

Ken Murchison wrote:
> I just put together a second release candidate for Cyrus 2.3.10 which
> hopefully fixes a couple of build issues with RC1.  I'd
> appreciate any independent testing before I release this to the masses.
>
> If there are any outstanding issues that you believe still need to be
> addressed in 2.3.10, please let me know.
>
> http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~murch/cyrus-imapd-2.3.10rc2.tar.gz

Hi,

It's still not really clear to me what to do to use replication with GUID.

E.g. I'm running a version < 2.3.10 and upgrade to 2.3.10

I stop master and slave.  Upgrade software. Remove provide_uuid=X from
cyrus.conf.  Add guid_mode: sha1 to imapd.conf on both master and
replica.  Start replica, start master.

install-upgrade says:

Upgrading from 2.3.9

       * The method used for generating Globally Unique IDentifiers used for
         replication has been changed to be the SHA1 hash of the messages.
         If you wish to upgrade the existing GUIDs in particular mailbox(es)
         or the entire server, perform the following steps in the listed
         order. Note that is is NOT REQUIRED that existing GUIDs be
         upgraded.

          1. Zero GUIDs on the replica (reconstruct -g)
          2. Regenerate GUIDs on the master (reconstruct -G)
          3. Regenerate GUIDs on the replica (reconstruct -G)

But it doesn't mention my case.  Should I run -G on the master and
replica?  Or isn't it necessary? Or must I do it.  Does it matter if the
master/replica are(n't) running?

What is the consequence if I don't zero the GUIDs?  Or don't regenerate
them?

Thanks in advance,

Rudy

PS I don't have any trouble of summarizing the answers to something that
can be added to install-upgrade.

Rudy Gevaert          Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be          tel:+32 9 264 4734
Directie ICT, afd. Infrastructuur ICT Department, Infrastructure office
Groep Systemen                    Systems group
Universiteit Gent                 Ghent University
Krijgslaan 281, gebouw S9, 9000 Gent, Belgie               www.UGent.be