Cyrus 2.3.10 RC2

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 12 06:37:19 EDT 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Rudy Gevaert wrote:

> It's still not really clear to me what to do to use replication with
> GUID.

I think that this is covered by:

> Note that is is NOT REQUIRED that existing GUIDs be upgraded.
>
>         1. Zero GUIDs on the replica (reconstruct -g)
>         2. Regenerate GUIDs on the master (reconstruct -G)
>         3. Regenerate GUIDs on the replica (reconstruct -G)

You should do this eventually. But it isn't required: things should carry
on working happily with a mix of old UUIDs and new SHA1 GUIDs. The upgrade
was designed to be safe if people just drop 2.3.10 in place.

Eventually we should have some tools which can compare GUIDs from the
cyrus.index files with SHA1s computed on the fly as a sanity check.
They aren't there yet, so there is no immediate advantage of
reconstructing other than consistency.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.