Cyrus IMAPd, auxprop and canon_user plugins?

Torsten Schlabach tschlabach at gmx.net
Thu Sep 28 13:27:09 EDT 2006

Hi!

I am not really sure how to ask the question the right way, but let me
start somewhere:

I understand that an auxprop plugin retrieves a number of attributes
from a backend. One of that attributed typically is a userPassword
string IIUC.

What other attributes does Cyrus IMAPd ask off an auxprop plugin it uses?

Is there anything like a "mailbox name" or "authzId" attribute for
example which is beeing retrieved through the auxprop plugin?

We run a setup that does not have virtual domains, but we use mailbox
names such as xy12345 and we map e-mail addresses to mailboxes.

No users want to login using their email address as a login name, not
their xy12345 name.

I think there might be two ways of achieving that:

a) By putting a "mailbox name" attribute in the backend database, if
IMAPd would care or
b) By writing something to the authzid attribute in the auxprop plugin.

In case of doing the latter, would the auxprop plugin eliminate the need
for a canon_user plugin?

Do I suffer from any misconception here?

Regards,
Torsten