alice-teacher Digital Media Academy?

Gamez, Enrique A (3012) enrique.a.gamez at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri May 10 12:38:17 EDT 2013

Not to alienate anybody, but I'm a big fan of on-line education -- that's
why I was originally attracted to "Alice" in the first place.

At $1K/week, I'd rather steer more kids interested in these same technical
topics to either iTunes U or, if they need a bit more feedback, fxPHD
(which is much cheaper with eminently qualified instructors).  The video
podcasts by Standford Univ. on iTunes U are my favorite for free iOS
development training, for example.  They provide the fundamentals although
the more advanced videos are somewhat dated now.  There's about 30 hrs of
free instruction!  fxPHD is more based on the creative digital arts than
on programming, but at much less cost provides homework review by the
instructors.  I'd also look through the MIT OpenCourseware catalog for
those teens who are self-motivated.

MIT OCW = http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm
fxPHD = https://www.fxphd.com/fxphd/courseInfo.php
iTunes U = https://itunes.apple.com/us/genre/itunes-u/id40000000?mt=10

You don't need an iPad to take iTunes U courses but if you do have access
to one, teachers(!) can create content:
http://www.apple.com/education/itunes-u/

Cheers,
-enrique