alice-teacher Fwd: Alice 2.3 on Windows 7 -Will not show up for different users when logging onto PC

Wanda Dann wpdann at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jan 7 16:05:56 EST 2013

Hi Barbara,

In Windows 7, the "All Users Desktop" location has been changed from what
it was in XP.  It is now located in:

C:\ Users\Public\Desktop

The easiest way to make a shortcut available on this desktop is to follow these steps:

Step 1:

Create a shortcut to the "alice.exe" file where you have installed Alice 2.3.
I did this on my personal computer (where I have installed Alice 2.3 on the C:\ drive, in the Program Files (X86) folder.  When I created a shortcut, Windows 7 would not allow me to create the shortcut within the Alice 2.3 folder so I had to create it on the desktop. But, this is my own "single user" desktop, not the "public all users" desktop.  (This is why you need to do the second step.)

Step 2.

Right click on shortcut that is now on your "single user" desktop.  Select "copy" from the pop-up menu.  Then, use Windows Explorer to find the all users desktop, which is located at:

C:\ Users\Public\Desktop

Now, paste the shortcut in the public users desktop. (After you get the "all users" shortcut on the desktop, you can drag the "single user" shortcut into the recycle bin.)

That should do it!  A shortcut icon should appear on the desktop for any user who
logs into that computer.

Hope that works for you!
Wanda