alice-teacher Coding Collaboration

Steven Huss-Lederman huss at beloit.edu
Mon Sep 19 17:08:16 EDT 2011

One technique I have used is to have each team add methods to a character to do certain actions.  I then have them export the new character.  They then have to import the characters into a new world.  With the characters and the new capabilities they create a new story.  I have had them create methods that do somewhat different things but require similar coding techniques so all the students have a similar experience (not required but what I am aiming for).  There are some extra issues over the standard coding ones that can come up: import/export of characters; they reference another object so it breaks in the combined world; they find that it worked fine in the development world but due to different objects, sizes, locations, etc. it isn't perfect in the combined world.  I have them iterate back to the development world until they get it to work well.  They often work across teams at this point and I think that is good.  I have a sample one with a cat, bird and girl that uses three teams - I simply have multiples of 3 teams if I have more students (I do paired programming).  All of my materials are online at https://bcmoodle.beloit.edu/course/view.php?id=1665 where you login as guest to access the course.  This exercise is at the top of the September 19-September 25 week.  I can also provide the solution to teachers (not online) and the description in a format other than PDF.  I should update and make it look nicer but have not done that yet.

All the best,
Steve