alice-teacher Teaching Math with Alice

Travis East teast at nhj.k12.in.us
Mon May 30 00:16:37 EDT 2011

I don't teach math currently, but used to use tools such as Geometer's Sketchpad and Alice to teach transformations in Geoemtry. A project that I have done in a math class can be found at

http://www.theeastfamily.net/project.html

I would have students build amusement park rides in 2D first using the Geometer's Sketchpad and then use Alice for the more advanced students to animate park rides in 3D. If you follow the link below, there are some amusement park rides my students designed in year's past.

http://www.nhj.k12.in.us/teachers/teast/parkridemodels/parkridemodels11.html

http://www.nhj.k12.in.us/teachers/teast/parkridemodels/parkridemodels.html

Alice is quite a powerful tool for demonstrating applications of math.

Hope this helps,

Travis East

>>> "Kilic-Bahi, Semra" <skilic-bahi at colby-sawyer.edu> 05/28/11 16:00 PM >>>
Hi all,

I am planning to learn  Alice during the summer.  As a math instructor, I would like to use Alice to teach mathematics.  I am wondering if anyone has already used Alice to teach math and are willing to share their experience/resources.

Thanks,

Semra Kilic-Bahi

Semra Kilic-Bahi
Assoc. Prof. of Mathematics