alice-teacher Alice 3 Beta update has been posted

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Aug 6 13:02:47 EDT 2011

The latest update to Alice 3, Version 3.0.3.0.0, has been released and is now available at http://www.alice.org.

Note the following changes in this release:

	• Added one-shots (ability to perform object-level procedures as part of scene setup)
	• Added a clipboard
	• Updated propeties pane with ability to change object name, color, opacity, position, vehicle and size.
	• Added camera and object markers

The latest Alice 3 Beta plugin for NetBeans, Alice3ProjectWizard3.0.3.0.0.nbm, is also available, and for those wishing to import and work with Alice 3 Beta projects in Netbeans, you should add this plugin to Netbeans. (If you have a previous version of the plugin installed, it is probably best to uninstall that version, before installing this new release.

It should also be noted that we are experiencing significant difficulties in the interaction between Alice 3 Beta and the latest release of NetBeans version 7.

It is our recommendation for the upcoming semester that teachers who expect to be teaching with Alice 3 Beta and Netbeans that they install and use Netbeans 6.9.1 (Java SE edition).

This version of Netbeans can be found at the following URL: http://netbeans.org/downloads/6.9.1/

As always, please let us know of any problems you encounter.

All the best, and have a great school year.

Donald Slater
Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

I have learned this at least by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
--- Henry David Thoreau