alice-teacher Looking for Alice 2.2 "manual" (Deane Fistick) Vol 13, Issue 3

John Lacy jlacy at jesuittampa.org
Sun Aug 7 21:00:12 EDT 2011

On 8/7/11 12:05 PM, "alice-teachers-request at lists.andrew.cmu.edu<mailto:alice-teachers-request at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>" <alice-teachers-request at lists.andrew.cmu.edu<mailto:alice-teachers-request at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>> wrote:

deane.fistick at ecotoh.net<mailto:deane.fistick at ecotoh.net>

Mr. Fistick

Have you had a chance to look over the textbook developed by the Alice team and authors (Wanda Dann, Randy Pausch, and Stephen Cooper)? It is "Learning to Program with Alice, 3rd Ed.

I have found it to be extremely useful, along with some of the sources you mentioned, and Aliceprogramming.net.

I too am creating a curriculum at my school centered around Alice, as an introduction to programming for our sophomores. I have front loaded my efforts with some foundation material though, that I believed in my case was needed. For example the first few days back to school they are exposed to Randy Pausch's Time Management material along with some basic project management concepts. Midway through the semester the students will move from an individual work ethic to a team effort collaborating on animation projects that will have set milestones/deadlines imposed.

Other foundation unit summary material consists of the evolution of the computer itself and programming languages, ethics in computer science, copyright and fair use.

>From this point on I pretty much follow the text book in sequencing of the material given. The last two weeks of the semester is used for their final team projects (winning animations viewed on school morning shows and posted to the web).

Hopefully this is helpful to some degree.

Respectfully,

John N. Lacy, M.S.
Faculty Advisor | Jesuit Robotics Initiative Organization (JRIO) | Head Coach, FIRST FRC Team 3164 |
Jesuit High School | Department of Mathematics | 4701 N. Himes Avenue | Tampa, FL 33614 |
T: 813.877.5344 x 406 | F: 813.443.5430 | M: 813.400.3164 | JRIO.Tampa at gmail.com or Robotics at jesuittampa.org |

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The information contained in this communication, including attachments, is privileged and confidential. It is intended only for the exclusive use of the addressee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify JHS by telephone (813) 877-5344 ext. 406 and immediately delete the communication.