alice-teacher Help! Alice being replaced by Python in my intro classes

Ziccardi, Adam aziccardi at opschools.org
Thu Mar 11 08:56:58 EST 2021

Hello Alice forum,
I'm mostly lurking but this topic hit a listener. The way I teach is OOP
first and foremost. Alice does that for us very well. She's been our
mainstay for the last decade and we do new things every semester. After a
while learning to build worlds and use the controls our Tea Party is set.
Then, we go right down the rabbit hole creating new and exciting things for
the existing classes and their myriad of instances. Inheritance is natural,
extending classes is natural, creativity is natural. Our APCS-A kids are so
successful after Alice I couldn't imagine teaching APCS-A without her
anymore. The learning references to Enhanced Clever Skaters and Gorilla
Robots makes learning APCS-A so nice. Hanoi and skeletons make recursion so
nice. public void mystery () motivates about 5% of people. Alice motivates
the other 95% too.
Then we go all online with Chromebooks where Alice can't operate.
The CMU CSAcademy is a fantastic option that motivates, encourages, allows
for differentiation, and again, is full of creativity opportunities. We
can't go back to yesterday because we were different people then. The
Python subset used is great. The support from CMU is second to none. The
kids are learning instantiation, property changes, methods, and adding
properties in addition to the classic CS stuff controls, conditionals,
collections, etc. Lacking is inheritance and extensions. Notably too,
though, is the APCS-A's perceptible shift away from this as well. Unit 9
seems cursory to me anyhow, way at the end of the year. 80% of the course
is learned inside of: public static void main(String args[]). Don't ask me
what that means, just have to do it is a crappy way to present the
course curriculum. It works, but...
So back to your administrator. I was at a WNY STEM conference filling in
last minute for a teacher/speaker. There were about 100 people there for
free dinner and updates. I asked how many teachers, how many
corporate sponsors, how many administrators each by a show of hands. I had
to know the room. The administrators were about 60-70 percent. One of them
asked the best way to choose a class/subject/language. I
unequivocally stated "you support whatever your CS teacher wants to do. Get
them what they ask for and make budgetary decisions. Leave the curriculum
to the teacher." I explained none of the buzzwords work for school age
introductory students. Attraction and retention for every person we have in
our buildings is a good goal. Learn the stuff with your kids, not for them.
We're not in the industry, we're in high school or middle school. The
language du jour may be Python but it won't be in X years/months/weeks. I
had a college prof who said "Adam, you gotta learn APL. C will be dead in
two years." So we did a lot of APL for 3 years. Ever heard of APL? We all
know what's written in C. But we learned a lot of CS that is transferable.
I suggest communicating with your Red Queen that the Forums/supports are
all there for whatever you want to teach. Student enrollment and interest
are at the core of our decision making. It's not about the language and
that CS is more about the content and the adventure. Then learning which
languages apply to the app situation will have strength and meaning.
Lastly, I do not believe for a second that APCS-P is a precursor to APCS-A.
It could be but there is not a linear progression from P to A. Alice is
better at APCS-A prep than anything I've seen or done. CSAcademy will be my
close second while we are all online. Once we are 100% back FTF, I'll offer
both and see where it goes.
Thanks. Curricularly: meet the kids where they are at and stretch them out
where they can go. If they don't know where they want to go it doesn't
matter much how you get there. We are all mad here...just illuminate a path.
AZ

--
Adam Ziccardi
716-209-6482