alice-teacher Help! Alice being replaced by Python in my intro classes

Mohammad Saleem Yusuf saleem_yusuf at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 10 16:27:17 EST 2021

>>> I'm actually much better at argument than programming, so this is my kind of question
I am much better at programming than argument.
I teach at a community college and I am on Advisory Board for 2 local high schools.

This my opinion.

I am not a big fan of JavaScript or Python, but I am amazed at the popularity of these 2 languages in high school. They both have their place in software development, but I can do a lot better with C# than Python in anything Python, except free IDE, smaller amount of code. It started with people who wanted to write quick script and not create projects.

Alice is great for younger kids, 8-10 (IMHO), kids can make nice videos, put them on Facebook, etc. I use it during Girls Technology Day.

I would use Java in high school. Easy to get college credit for it and may help get an internship etc., Plenty of resources, but it is not great with doing GUI (I am aware of Java FX).

If I have to use a programming language as professional software developer, I will use C#. Far better than other languages. There is a lot of free material for learning too.

I teach C#, Java, Android programming and SQL Design at NHTI.

Saleem

Mohammad “Saleem” Yusuf
Professor - IT Software Development
Sweeney 301