alice-teacher Version recommendation?

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Nov 9 10:00:10 EST 2012

I think that it is important to think about the goals for your course. Alice 3.x was designed specifically at this time to support those programs in which students will be writing Java code towards the end of the course. Alice 3.x has features that support this transition from Alice to Java (the ability to import an Alice world into Netbeans, for example), that Alice 2.x does not have.

Alice 2.x was never designed to support a transition to Java, and in fact, some of its underlying features get in the way (it is object based, not object oriented; in other words, procedures are added to the instance of the object so that only that object can execute that procedure. In Alice 3.x, procedures are added to the class, and so all instances of the class in the scene can execute the procedure). Alice 2.x is best used in courses in which students are to be introduced to programming fundamentals, without any particular emphasis on specific language features.)

Version numbering is tricky. Normally, people would assume that Alice 3.x is a superset of Alice 2.x. But that is not true in this case. A better analogy is Algebra 1 vs Algebra 2. There will come a time when Alice 3.x does replace Alice 2.x, but because Alice 2.x was available and working well for its intended audience, in developing Alice 3.x, we featured on the transition to Java features, expecting that we will add the features that make Alice 3.x a better fit for the Alice 2.x courses.

Alice 2.x does have a much greater wealth of support materials for instructors, materials that are not yet available for Alice 3.x, although we are working like crazy to develop them.

Consider the following two documents as you make your decision:

	http://help.alice.org/w/file/57857409/AliceSuiteDecisionTree.pdf
	http://help.alice.org/w/file/57914016/AliceSuite.pdf