[Access Lunch] Looking for a TA for F24 for a course on accessibillity

Andrew Begel abegel at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Apr 22 19:37:41 EDT 2024

Hi all,

Patrick Carrington and I are going to teach 05-499/899 next Fall (F24), a project-oriented course we’re creating that celebrates accessibility.

Would you like to be our TA? We’re looking for someone who cares about the disability community and wants to help others learn how to work with them to make great accessible systems for them.

If you’re interested, please let us know!

Andrew and Patrick

Course: Celebrating Accessibility

Description: This course celebrates ability, disability, and accessibility. It introduces students to the theory, history, policy, and practice of accessibility and inclusion in computing. Course readings will explore relevant concepts from disability studies, accessibility, human-computer interaction, and design methods. Students will develop critical perspectives on issues of representation, identity, visibility, and inclusion. Students will also learn about organizations focused on accessibility and inclusion and examine various approaches to creating accessible and inclusive computing systems. Students will leave the course with a sense of what it takes to both create and use accessible computing systems for people with visible and invisible disabilities. This is a practice-oriented course, and students will work in multidisciplinary teams to brainstorm, develop, and evaluate some kind of tool or system with people with disabilities.