[Access Lunch] Happening Today 1:30 P: Join Accessibility Reading Group Spring Semester

Sara Kingsley skingsle at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Feb 4 16:11:18 EST 2021

Cynthia, thank you so much for organizing the accessibility lunch. I am
really excited to participate and learn with everyone this semester.

Hi everyone, below, I have provided a link to the Twitter thread that
discusses the issue of only naming "diabetes" versus distinguishing Type 1
and Type 2 diabetes in the medical literature, e.g., the impact is that
Type 1 diabetics were left off the CDC's covid vaccine prioritization
schedule.

In the Twitter thread, there are links to the CDC's website and list of
comorbidities (Type 1 diabetes is left off) and the Twitter user discusses
their literature review of covid impacts to persons living with diabetes,
highlighting that the research literature does not make a distinction
between the two diseases even though the diseases are very different. For
example, one is a metabolism disease (Type 2) and the other is an
autoimmune disease (Type 1). The difference results in different risk
profiles for severe or life-threatening covid. In one of the tweets, there
is a screenshot of a graph from one of the research papers that shows the
different odds ratios of dying from covid -- Type 1 diabetes has a much
higher odds ratio than Type 2.

I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested to read the thread but thought
I would send in case.

Here is a link to the thread:
https://twitter.com/emmavaninwegen/status/1356583215675412480?s=27

Here is the username and text of the first tweet in the thread: username:
emmavaninwegen (@Emma van Inwegen) Tweeted: "Type2 diabetes is on the CDCs
list of covid comorbidities but Type1 is not. So I went through all the
journal articles the CDC cites, expecting to see covid has worse outcomes
for T2Ds than T1Ds. The articles either show the opposite, or don't
distinguish between T2/T1"

Thank you, Sara

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 9:36 AM Cynthia Bennett <cbennet2 at andrew.cmu.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>

> Due to our amazing discussions last summer, Accessibility Lunch will again
> become a reading group during spring semester. We’ll meet every Thursday
> from 1:30 to 2:30 Eastern Time at the Zoom link below.  If you’d like to
> join and you aren’t already subscribed, join the Accessibility Lunch email
> list as we won’t send announcements to HCII every week. We also welcome
> this message to be shared outside of HCII to anyone interested in
> accessibility, disability, and technology, but please do not post the Zoom
> link publicly.
>

> We’ll kick off the semester on February 4 by reading a review of
> accessibility research. The paper is attached. We’ll also take volunteers
> to lead discussion on future dates. Lead discussants email out their chosen
> reading the week prior and then lead casual discussion of the reading
> during the next Accessibility Lunch.
>

> Join Accessibility Lunch on Thursday, February 4 at 1:30 PM Eastern Time
> here:
>
> https://cmu.zoom.us/j/94637562700#success
>

> Join the Accessibility Lunch email list here to insure that you receive
> future announcements.
>

> Thank you for joining and sharing!
>

> Cynthia L. Bennett <https://www.bennettc.com/>
>
> Pronouns: she/her <https://www.mypronouns.org/she-her>
>

> Twitter <https://twitter.com/clb5590?lang=en>
>

> LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/clb5590/>
>

> Google Scholar
> <https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=4S6LJh8AAAAJ&hl=en>

Sara C. Kingsley (pronouns: she/her)
PhD scholar
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

*website: *www.sarakingsley.info

*want to chat about research, projects or coursework?* please feel free to
schedule time to meet with me at this link, thank you:
https://calendly.com/skingsle/sara-schedule