[Access Lunch] Accessibility Lunch Reading for 8/6

Stephanie Valencia Valencia svalenci at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Aug 3 17:06:36 EDT 2020

Hi Everyone!

We had a great discussion last week commemorating the 30 years of the ADA!

For this week's reading I thought it would be a great idea to learn a
little bit about another country's journey towards an accessible present
and future. For that reason I chose a paper published in the proceedings of
the GREAT Consultation of 2019 by the World Health Organization titled "The
Colombian assistive technology sector: National policies and experiences
from the National Disability System representatives" which gives us a
background of the policy and resources available in the country of
Colombia.

For some background here is a summary of the consultation's foreword:

*"As a first step to inform the development of a Global Report on effective
access to assistive technology, WHO hosted the GReAT Consultation on 22-23
August, 2019. Over 260 participants from 60 countries representing
academia, civil society, users of assistive technology, global assistive
technology stakeholders, States and UN agencies participated in this global
consultation.*

*More than 130 abstracts were submitted, and following a review process
considering the relevance, quality and geographic representation, over 80
manuscripts or illustrative contributions were subsequently invited to be
developed into full manuscripts for presentation at the GReAT Consultation.*
* Contributions were sought to illuminate the range and breadth of
assistive technology and to recognise the diversity of stakeholders within
the complex system of assistive technology. Submitted manuscripts were
reviewed from academic, technical and accessibility perspectives. *

*These Proceedings represent the first foundation for the Global Report.
Its 76 sections comprise 72 manuscripts and four abstracts, and are
presented across eight themes: (1) Needs and Supply, (2) Access, (3)
Outcomes, (4) Policies and Programmes, (5) Procurement and Service
provision, (6) Capacity Building, (7) Innovations, (8) Enabling the
sector."*

I am also excited to share that Sara Múnera, one of the authors will be
joining us this week to discuss the paper further. Sara is the director and
founder of Whee <https://www.whee-educacion.com/>, a social enterprise that
promotes accessibility and inclusion through education in Colombia.

I look forward to reflecting on what common patterns we see among the US
and Colombia, lessons learned that could be transferred across countries,
and even on what are some universal challenges to accessibility that remain
true independent of the nation. These are just some suggestions, all
questions are welcomed!

I have attached the complete proceedings PDF in case you want to learn more
about the GReAT Consultation and the context in other countries. Our
reading starts on page 397. I have also attached a separate PDF just
containing our reading.

We’ll meet this Thursday, August 6th at 12 PM Eastern Time here:

https://cmu.zoom.us/j/94637562700

I look forward to our discussion!
Stephanie

--