[Access Lunch] 7/30 Readings: Reflections on the 30th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act

Cynthia Bennett cbennet2 at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jul 27 09:15:10 EDT 2020

Hi Everyone,

No one ever again ask me to choose a few articles among many on disability. This week, we'll read some recent feature stories that have been published in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act. I promise these articles are less taxing reading than academic papers. There is an audio version of each article as well.

Before the readings, as a reminder, we'll meet this Thursday, July 30 at 12 PM Eastern Time here:
https://cmu.zoom.us/j/94637562700

These 7 articles come from 2 collections, the New York Times's Beyond the Law's Promise: 30 Years Since the Passage of the Americans With Disabilities Act,<https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/disability-ADA-30-anniversary.html> and a collection of essays by disabled people and curated by Alice Wong, ADA 30 In Color.<https://disabilityvisibilityproject.com/ada30/>

The New York Times links are supposed to be unlocked versions. Please let me know if you cannot open any.

These articles were chosen to showcase a mixture of history, statistics, personal stories, diverse perspectives, areas we have not covered in reading group, ways the ADA is not measuring up, and some interesting gains stimulated by the law. Suffice to say, there's a lot more where these came from.

We'll begin earlier with Section 504,<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_504_of_the_Rehabilitation_Act> from which a lot of language was borrowed by the ADA:<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americans_with_Disabilities_Act_of_1990> Overlooked No More: Brad Lomax, a Bridge Between Civil Rights Movements<https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/obituaries/brad-lomax-overlooked.html?unlocked_article_code=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEIPuonUktbfq4hkT1UbCybSV9k7sxSchPXUh7Ymj3O7KC-QQCYHyPoYGYyH_ETAaexje943lXy9deN2DYUOFrZ03_MNeAtkURWpqZ-J38kPei878tq5Gzw4g5mIALthrHq7PzDhbboinuTgsx6KajLgW7fNkiF0fHYTqptjclir2nYL1_2FRrYzgo8iqK9nUpNqRj4AZT2Iue3oDXh9O9aFZxLd7momSr0TGGGTzZPHteV2IEgFAknGTXh9_W829NteXdsXN671JBQnE9Hs_I-ZJ507YjIFy4pmg2TOlw>

Next, introducing activism of younger disabled people with: Disability Pride: The High Expectations of a New Generation<https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/17/style/americans-with-disabilities-act.html?unlocked_article_code=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEIPuonUktbfq4hkT1UaBCbOQckjo1qPgPXVwbc1gGS7MymJSXNOzv8cCYmE-lvMaLEmbtAvmTSHQdsLeJkeeMtP9M4NdUp8V1vv5ZKehJUOJyhyotroDztuj86IUbpjrXq3MzGwbe4uyuL6tUrfbTXoUPbe0nQjNx8l9cU-DSyi0XEMx63FEOZniJIpjbp6WMcMFXpXbzKKvvLqFxx7JN6DCxjf4QQ3UO1dMirByZ_es_lTNVUPVi-VCS938m0-69pDOdIIPK-ZLhYofcD2hbp5GXUW2cKdMLKVAUSiO3rzT8Wt>

Then, two articles showing gaps and areas for improvement:

After 30 Years the ADA Leaves People with Psychiatric Disabilities Behind<https://disabilityvisibilityproject.com/2020/07/19/after-30-years-the-ada-leaves-people-with-psychiatric-disabilities-behind/>

When Caring for Your Child's Needs Becomes a Job All Its Own<https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/24/us/children-disabilities-parenting-poverty-assistance.html?unlocked_article_code=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEIPuonUktbfq4hkT1UZBybIRp8srhyCieLCxvkwh2T3JimRSCpDwv9QG4Ga9kHRZKxsIsM0wTmBWM4EOaQ0Redux-lUMgptVwys6NOiqagyHh8U-8i1T39kmNXER6w5-jvnKWLgJusimLa2-hiPbGf1XKOJhWlyd11lvcY2IFyq0CELkfiVR_VnmYUrhYdXDZB8Qj4BZyOJrqOoX004YIPaG0mavgomWOhZWCXRm8qc7d8DcwZUClHBRRBv8Dp2qYMcaJ5MYvGJf1N3c9H-gL4TFmViMI-rYpUxTIXUnLlh2qXffMbAXE2dbBAwsyIAaAYgVg>

Continuing with two positive notes:

How the ADA Gave Birth to a Black Sexpert<https://disabilityvisibilityproject.com/2020/07/19/how-the-ada-gave-birth-to-a-black-sexpert/>

Disabled Do-It-Yourselfers Lead Way to Technology Gains<https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/style/assistive-technology.html?unlocked_article_code=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEIPuonUktbfq4hkT1UaBybOQckjo1qPnuPO26A9mHK7MCWeSTBFy-MaEs6A50LJL-JFVucE4g66FpVHIaN9A7t71PNeNEhgDAL0-pXdxcVUZnk-pNj2AzJrhNedU7xltGLkNDDpJLt0nOax4FjOKjW_ANyp2n0nIw9kopFmZAvqjSROnvGZZ7Yzjtpu3v4hB4R4QyMAYkSJvPrpDxZ8MbaWf02Wq1l2C6wCB2alzZPL4KkAcQ5QFVvMUHt9hG4849lbM9ocV73tGROIfi_kHLA0e7I3uzLZDQ>

And finally, reflections on how to move forward:

The Future Liberation of Disability Movements<https://disabilityvisibilityproject.com/2020/07/19/the-future-liberation-of-disability-movements/>

Talk soon!

Cynthia L. Bennett<https://www.bennettc.com/>
Pronouns: she/her