[SIGBOVIK] SIGBOVIK 2021 Call for Talks (& Papers)

SIGBOVIK Announcements sigbovik-announce at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Mar 21 19:15:50 EDT 2021

To All Students, Faculty, Staff, and Sentient AIs:

Have you submitted a paper to SIGBOVIK 2021? Are you planning to submit
one? If so, then you are strongly encouraged (but not required) to give a
virtual talk about it! If you forgot to submit a paper to SIGBOVIK 2021
(mistakes happen!), you are also welcome (though not required) to present
some research that *should have *been a SIGBOVIK 2021 paper!

In light of this year's virtual venue (the internet), all talks will be
pre-recorded videos. (Alternatively, they can be plain audio, and the video
will be chosen at the organizers' discretion. The organizers will *not*,
however, choose audio for plain videos.) Presenters are *also* required to
submit audio responses to anticipated questions from the audience. We will
do our best to match appropriate answers to questions, given the
restriction that our triple-blind process precludes us from listening to
the question before choosing the answer.

Since the conference is on the internet this year, we will not be offering
VGA nor HDMI hook-ups, nor chalkboards. You are welcome, however, to record
yourself using your own chalkboard. The previous sentence applies both to
recording yourself writing on a chalkboard and to recording yourself with a
video-enabled smart chalkboard.

Presentations should be no more than *five* minutes in length; excess time
will be aggressively clipped. Unlike the time domain, we impose no
restrictions on the frequency domain.

All talks must be submitted by *March 28, 2021 *using our Highly
Sophisticated Amazingly Serious Blind Talk Submission Form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScP888v9Y6eWb5tnfgSPWByE5hFeudFy_WjZIXvxu8MiU5gpw/viewform>
.

As a reminder, *all papers must be submitted by **March 26, 2021. *This is
the *final* deadline.

Further disinformation is available on our website (but seriously, the
deadlines here are final -- that is not disinformation):
http://sigbovik.org/202 <http://sigbovik.org/2021>1

To keep up with our announcements, subscribe to our low-traffic mailing
list:

If you have no idea what’s going on:

SIGBOVIK is an evening of tongue-in-cheek academic presentations. If we
have a goal, it’s to poke fun at our fields and provide a venue for silly
ideas with (often but not always) serious executions. SIGBOVIK has both a
published proceedings and live talks, and everyone is welcome to
participate in either or both of these. All subjects are welcome, although
be advised that the primary audience is computer scientists. The best way
to get a feel for SIGBOVIK is to look at our past proceedings, which you
can find at http://sigbovik.org.