[SIGBOVIK] SIGBOVIK 2021 Extended Deadline Extension

SIGBOVIK Announcements sigbovik-announce at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 19 21:23:17 EDT 2021

Due to a misunderstanding with our editors, we mistakenly sent the wrong
extended deadline. The actual deadline (the *extended* extended deadline
[0]), is *Friday, 26 March 2021.*

After receiving a great deal of feedback from around the internet (from
sources such as email, Zoom, and social media), it has come to our
attention that many of you are rushing to complete your submissions before
this evening's inconvenient deadline. However, the Association for
Computational Heresy is more aware than any organization that great
research cannot be rushed, and SIGBOVIK accepts only the greatest research
(as indicated in confidence by our venerable originator, Harry Q. Bovik
[0]). Consequently, to give you the time to ensure that your research is
*great*, we are *extending the submission deadline* to

*Friday, 26 March 2021.*
*Friday, 19 March 2021.*

If you have already submitted a paper, this provides you with *nearly an
entire week* to devise and submit a second, third, or fourth paper.
Remember that submitting additional papers can, to a rough mathematical
approximation, only increase the probability of at least one of your papers
being accepted! And if you (regrettably) haven't started any of your
SIGBOVIK papers yet, this provides you with *nearly an entire week* to
devise and submit a first paper! We urge you to consider how nice your CV
would look with one or more SIGBOVIK papers, especially if they receive one
of our numerous awards. Further, anecdotal and (perhaps) scientific
evidence shows that successfully completing a paper after starting it late
results in a beneficial feedback loop of increasingly hasty paper
submissions reinforced by self-satisfaction in one's own last-minute
paper-writing abilities.

Not to increase the pressure, but please note that over 3 15 papers have
already been submitted this year. In other words, the number of papers this
year is, to your knowledge, not even bounded above. The acceptance rate is
expected to be highly competitive to maintain our status as a top-notch
venue. This will help us close a deal with CSRankings.org (the #1 website
for approximately listing universities by the population of their computer
science departments) to count our venue.

We look forward to your submissions! More information can be found on our
website: http://sigbovik.org/2021.

In the unlikely event that you missed our original call for papers, you can
find it below:

To All Students, Faculty, Staff, and Sentient AIs:

The fifteenth annual SIGBOVIK conference will take place at Carnegie Mellon
University Online on *Thursday, April 1, 2021* on *the internet*. The
Special Interest Group on Harry Q. Bovik is a multidisciplinary conference
dedicated to lesser-known research areas neglected by mainstream
conferences, such as:

   - Complexity practice,
   - Software theorizing,
   - Multi-armed philanthropists,
   - Connotational semantics,
   - Computer-computer interaction,
   - Data of unusual size,
   - And many more!

We encourage everyone to submit both papers and reviews, regardless of
affiliation, discipline, rationality, or goodwill. Authors of accepted
papers are encouraged (but not required) to give a ten-minute presentation
of their work.

The submission deadline for both papers and reviews is *March 12, 2021*.

Due to its immense success last year, we will again be using our innovative
*triple-blind* peer review process: In addition to concealing reviewers and
authors from each other, the papers will also be concealed from the
reviewers.

Further disinformation is available on our website:
http://sigbovik.org/202 <http://sigbovik.org/2021>1

To keep up with our announcements, subscribe to our low-traffic mailing
list:

If you have no idea what’s going on:

SIGBOVIK is an evening of tongue-in-cheek academic presentations. If we
have a goal, it’s to poke fun at our fields and provide a venue for silly
ideas with (often but not always) serious executions. SIGBOVIK has both a
published proceedings and live talks, and everyone is welcome to
participate in either or both of these. All subjects are welcome, although
be advised that the primary audience is computer scientists. The best way
to get a feel for SIGBOVIK is to look at our past proceedings, which you
can find at http://sigbovik.org.

[0] http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~bovik/

[0] Not to be confused with contrastive focus reduplication
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrastive_focus_reduplication>.