[SCA-Dance] Theme and Variations

billqs at aol.com billqs at aol.com
Thu Apr 6 13:45:39 EDT 2017

I agree with much Thyra has posted. Back when I was active I felt like the best way to improve accuracy- dance more period dances, and dance them in a more period fashion was to train the people that train the dancers- the local dance masters and mistresses. It has often happened unofficially this way, as it is natural that more dance instructors make the a large amount of the dancers who spend most/all their time at dance events at places like Pennsic, Gulf Wars etc.

After all, little is to be gained being negative toward the casual dancer who really only knows what they've been taught. Focusing on the positive and getting a "training regimen" for local dance ministers is a great way to impact change to the most dancers. Also, it never hurts to have a pow wow with your set if you have dancers from different places. I remember one Pennsic where our 3 couple Whirligig had dancers from 4 different kingdoms. I suggested we quickly discuss how we would do the dance, being told that "we could just pick it up as we went along" and then hilarity ensued (though it wasn't funny at the time.)

Just my two antique shillings

Wm Redcape