[SCA-Dance] Theme and Variations

Thyra Eiriksdottir thyra.edottir at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 09:31:34 EDT 2017

I've had similar thoughts, and concur that there is no final solution to
the conundrum.

The more we agree on dances, the more we dance them together, which is all
to the good. I think that is slightly more important than having the right
reconstruction, frankly.

But, variations can lead to new insights, and the "common" way of dancing
things can slowly change towards being more accurate. But it has to happen
in a way that keeps everyone having fun out on the floor. Eventually, as we
figure out how to make the historically accurate more accessible, it comes
into more common use.  That's the way it's generally worked throughout all
parts of the SCA, I think.

I do think we should be researching and sharing our ideas and trying to
improve our accuracy. I don't think we should be focusing on what we think
is "wrong," and focusing on eliminating it, as that directs the emphasis
toward the negative rather than the positive.  (I don't think you were
suggesting that, Danielis, I'm stating it in general.)

Interestingly, while mostly Italian dances were on my mind while writing
this, I just had an experience where I nearly wrecked a Jenny Pluck Pears
set at Gulf Wars, because most of the dancers had a regional variation and
I didn't even pay attention to what they were saying, because I Knew This
One. It was fascinating to at least go back to the source and see where the
variation had come from (I don't agree with it, but it was logical). And we
got through the dance anyway, and chatted about it afterward, and it was a
positive experience. It did make me feel a bit like someone from a
different culture visiting a foreign land, in a good way.

Thyra
​