[SCA-Dance] Dancing at non-dance events

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Jan 21 10:14:14 EST 2014

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014, Sonya <patches023 at verizon.net> wrote:
> However, when I have attended an event that is not dance
> focused, such as the ones listed above, the dancing is usually scheduled for
> right after the feast and it only happens 20 percent of the time.  What
> usually happens is that court runs long or the feast runs long or both run
> long and then everyone wants to pack up and go home or people need to help
> clean up in the kitchen (which IS a very worthwhile thing to do) and dancing
> is dropped.
>
> Is this something that just happens in Atlantia

This is a tale I heard of a Dancers' Revolt event around Detroit.
Dancing all day, but they announced that combat would be held after
the feast and the ball.  So all the dancing wrapped up, and two
gentlemen fully armed and armored stepped onto the floor ... only to
be told that, gee, the feast ran long and the ball ran long and we
have to get out of the hall before 11 PM, so, um, sorry, but we've had
to cancel the tourney.  (One of the fighters may have been Midair,
from Cynnabar; he's been prominent as the M.C. at the ball at
Terpsichore at the Tower.)

If it was enough of a cliche to be the basis of a joke in another
kingdom at least a decade ago, it's probably pretty universal.

Daniel Delicious
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com