[SCA-Dance] Dancing at non-dance events

Ben Cogan donnghaile at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 11:01:04 EST 2014

Agreed, it is a prevailing trend all around, in Aethelmearc dancing has
become quite rare as well.

We used to have it after feast, but gradual attrition took over and now we
don't any more.  My extra comment comes that it coincides with another
phenom, and that's the earlier and earlier end times of events.  Back when
dancing actually happened after feast, the event closed at 11 or 12, and we
were still there washing dishes until 1 or 2 in the morning.  Now we're
closing the sites at 9 or 10 with the full intent off lights off everyone
out by 10 or 11.  Now I don't miss the days of washing dishes until it's
tomorrow, but closing events earlier has become our norm, and
the dancing has suffered.

When I started dancing in the 90s we regularly had 40-50 people attend our
weekly practices.  We'd have to yell at the gamers in the corner when they
were too loud, but we'd have 4 sets of heralds in love going at once, now
we have monthly dance practices, and wait to see how many people show up to
see if we can have any dances for 8.  It used to be one the major social
events, but now barely used.  I go less often myself now that I have kids,
but it seems that we're not really getting new blood in.

Anecdotal, to be sure, but yes, your frustrations are felt,

Cheers,
Brandubh