[SCA-Dance] Dancing at non-dance events

Sonya patches023 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 20 17:34:09 EST 2014

Greetings,

I would love to get a discussion going about dancing at non-dance themed
events (i.e. 12th nights, local baronial events, etc.).  Maybe my experience
is not the norm.  However, when I have attended an event that is not dance
focused, such as the ones listed above, the dancing is usually scheduled for
right after the feast and it only happens 20 percent of the time.  What
usually happens is that court runs long or the feast runs long or both run
long and then everyone wants to pack up and go home or people need to help
clean up in the kitchen (which IS a very worthwhile thing to do) and dancing
is dropped.

Is this something that just happens in Atlantia (I admit that I do not
travel outside of Atlantia for non-dance events)?  Have others found this?
How can we as a dance community address this?  I suspect this issue is why
there are many dance themed events. At dance themed events, the ball happens
because that is the focus of the event.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

YIS,
Lady Patches

PS. I hope this doesn't come off as a slam or insult to non-dance events or
stewards of those events. I know that everyone works very hard to put on the
best event they can and something has to give. I am wondering how the thing
that gives can stop being dancing.