[SCA-Dance] Pinagay bransle

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Sep 25 10:03:57 EDT 2013

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013, Justin du coeur <jducoeur at gmail.com> wrote:
> My impression is that that tendency (and it varies in many bransles)
> is mainly driven by what musical recordings a branch happens to use.
> Some musicians (notably Wolgemut) have a tendency to repeat
> everything in the bransles, even when Arbeau doesn't obviously call
> for it.

In contrast, Musica Subterranea's Pinagay (off the green CD) has only
one double at the end so that's what we do.  The recording my group
has available for Pepper's Black has about an extra third of the dance
tacked onto the end.  The dance is energetic enough that we just stop
when the dance ends, but it would not surprise me if we started
dancing from the start.  A group I danced with elsewhere had a
Cuckold's with an extra verse, so when we danced it there, we ended
with the first verse all over again.

The Ly Bens Dystonyns we have permits only the three-singles-forward
version, which has an extra couple of bars of music to make it all
fit.  I'd like a source for other reconstructions for variety's sake.
(But I'd really like to figure out a version where we dance the steps
as written, of course at least as best we can interpret Gresley, but
that would require other music mutation and require live musicians on
hand to play.)

Danel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com