[SCA-Dance] Thesis Available for download - Reformation and Revelry: The Practices and Politics of Dancing in Early Modern England, c.1550-c.1640

David Learmonth david.a.learmonth at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 00:57:09 EST 2013

I figured this may be of interest to some of us.  Emily Winerock actually
came to teach a class at our Known World Dance Symposium back in 2009.

Reformation and Revelry: The Practices and Politics of Dancing in Early
Modern England, c.1550-c.1640
"This study examines the cultural and religious politics of dancing in late
sixteenth- and early seventeenth-century England..."

https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/handle/1807/34965

In case anyone was curious about the class she taught back in 2009, here
were the details:
The Dancing Rector of Tortworth and Other Curious Tales from the Archives
Dancing was a controversial subject in Tudor and Stuart England, with
religious reformers and traditionalists taking each other to court to
protest dancing or its suppression. This presentation looks at some of the
strange and surprising stories about dancing found in church court records
and other archival sources, and considers these tales within their
historical context.

Yay Dancing!