[SCA-Dance] I need a word

Mary Railing mrailing2 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 12:26:35 EST 2013

The term is "Misura di terra", one of the cardinal virtues of renaissance dance.


 From: Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com>
To: SCA Dance <sca-dance at sca-dance.org> 
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2013 11:45 AM
Subject: [SCA-Dance]  I need a word
Is there a word for "the little adjustments that people experienced in
a dance will make for functional reasons to make it flow better"?  For

- Parson's Farewell, verse 1: small double back and slant the last
   slipping towards the other couple so you're close enough to turn
   your contrary in chorus 1
- Heralds in Love, chorus: go all the way to the other person's place
   and on the beat or chorus 3 will end in tears
- Hole in the Wall in a hallway: balance in and out while the other
   couple is casting and progressing

I'm thinking "dancecraft" or maybe "floorcraft" but I'm not at all
sure.  Googling is almost useless, except I did get a hit for "tango
floorcraft" in this sense.

(I use "flourishes" or such for little embellishments that people
make, not for functional reasons, but just for fun or panache.)

Danett Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com
To send mail to the entire list, be sure sca-dance at sca-dance.org is listed
in the To line of any response.

To Unsubscribe send mail to: sca-dance-request at sca-dance.org

Posting guidlines on the list info page: https://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/mailman/listinfo/sca-dance

More information about the Sca-dance mailing list