[SCA-Dance] SCAd-Dance Delving into the Trihory

David Learmonth david.a.learmonth at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 17:22:19 EST 2013

Hi Judith!

I reconstructed Trihory a few years ago too.  (you should come to my
classes at Pennsic)  :)

I fought with it for a while, having not done it before, but I came to
basically the same conclusions as Del:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/del/sections/bransles9.html
(oh, I think there might be a typo, where he says at the end on the last
swing of your heels to raise your Right foot, but I think it was the Left
in the book, or maybe I have to go back and look again).

As for myself, I teach the 3 kicks version first, since it is most similar
to a typical bransle, and then once they have tried that a few times, I
show the heel pointing version, which yes, definitely ends up being "the
twist" or something like that.  I end up calling it as "squiggle squiggle
squiggle".

As for when to do this, as opposed to Kicking, it is a bit unclear, so I do
tend to alternate.  I've never been too critical on it (and I don't tend to
dance it too often), but if you were to do it for performance, I would
certainly choose a standard, such as alternating, or something like that.

As for the Music, I do not have knowledge to help me there.  Del also makes
a statement "there are no clues in the music as to where the end of the
dance is."

If you do find out more about the Music, that may shed light on this,
please let us know!

Darius