[SCA-Dance] Timing of the seguito spezzato in Il Ballarino

Alexander Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Sun Aug 4 16:30:19 EDT 2013

I'm not convinced by the reasoning quoted below, because I've found my
hypothetical version to be practicable, though not easy. What sems
more difficult is doing this hypothetical version before a cadenza,
but I would not want to assume that it wasn't done that way just
because it isn't easy.

But this analysis is suggesting something to me that might be a more
fruitful line of inquiry. Do we have any evidence that would tell us
what Caroso really means by "principiar la seconda battuta" and "fine
della battuta"? Can it be proven that (if one counts like
"one-and-ah-two-and-ah") these are either "ah" followed by "two", or
"two" followed by "ah"? I had initially assumed the latter, but that
might be because of my modern American background.

I suppose the first thing to look at would be the ending of this same
rule. When Caroso says, "Poi nel principiar la terza battuta, ha da
passar' innanzi col destro . . .", does this mean that the right foot
is being placed on the ground, or very specifically that it is moving
but not yet being placed on the ground, or does it not clearly mean
one or the other? If this is where the foot is placed, then
"principiar" apparently refers to the "three", but if the foot must
not yet be placed, then it refers to "ah" before "three". (Of course,
having but a smattering of Italian, I hardly know the answer to this
question.)

--
Henry/Alex