[SCA-Dance] Timing of the seguito spezzato in Il Ballarino

Mary Railing mrailing2 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 4 12:45:32 EDT 2013

Remember that each step begins on the upbeat so that the foot *lands* on the first beat. That means that after the first spezzato, the trailing foot is already coming forward at the end of the previous measure (beat 6, if you are counting two triple beats as 1-6). So although it is possible to do *one* spezzato with the heel of the leading foot not coming down until beat 6, a series of spezzati requires one to anticipate the beat by bringing the trailing foot up to the leading foot on beat 3, rising, and lowering the body and the heel of the leading foot on beat 4. In theory, one could postpone the lowering until beat 5, but cascarda music tends to accent beats 1,3,4,6.

--Urraca