[SCA-Dance] Maundering about "Glory of the West"

Yves de Fortanier Yves.de.Fortanier at comcast.net
Mon Aug 23 02:21:23 EDT 2010

Bonjour from Yves,

Disclaimer: I haven't heard or done Glory of the West myself.

According to Filip's transcription of the First Edition, the instructions
for four of the dances mention "open and close" - Prince Ruperts March
(L-4C), Aye Me (L-4C), The Glory of the West (2C), and The Slip (L-many).

I'm thinking the open and close takes a bar/measure each and the movement
for "open" could be [1] branle out twice, [2] slip out twice, or [3] "step,
cross in front, step, pause" for as much as to reduce the bouncing inherent
in the other two options. 8-)

Setting to another dancer without turning - I count at least seven dances
having that, including Stingo and Newcastle.

Since there's two bars in which to do two sets, I see two options: do it
once at half speed or do it twice at normal speed. There is a similar
situation with "The Health": the instructions say simply "set" and the music
gives two bars for it.

There's more sheet music (for pianoforte) for The Glory of the West on this
page:
http://larkcamp.com/CecilSharp.html (see Set 3).

Hoping this helps,
Yves de Fortanier