[SCA-Dance] Spanish or Iberian dances?

Kirsten Garner kngarner at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 21 13:33:55 EDT 2009

Greetings,

In addition to the sources which Eoin has provided, we also know there was such a thing as a "Spanish style" of dancing, as well as dances which were designated as "Spanish". You sometimes see references to "So-and-so and her ladies danced several dances in the Spanish style" or "So-and-so arranged several Spanish dances for entertainment" (Lucrezia Borgia did this last for a friend of hers who was visiting Ferrara in 1503). This leads one to the conclusion that the geographical origin of a particular set of dances or particular dance style was distinct enough to be recognizable even by the average courtier. However, what that actually translates to in practice, we don't know.

Julian
(...who would give just about anything for a time machine)