[SCA-Dance] Not a Known World Dance Seminar?

Peter Durham (Trahaearn ap Ieuan) trahaearn at live.com
Tue Jun 30 01:42:21 EDT 2009

Greetings from Trahaearn, KWDS 2007 autocrat!

Justin wrote:
It should be noted that this varies from Kingdom to Kingdom, though. [...] I
suspect much depends on Kingdom culture, and how it deals with large events.

This was one of the things that was odd about the Corporate process for KWDS
2007 in An Tir. Like Carolingia's case, KWDS 2007 was run by the local
Barony. In fact, in An Tir, even "Kingdom" events are run through the local
hosting group; there is no concept of an event run by the Kingdom directly.
So when Corporate wanted to see all the appropriate Kingdom sign-offs, I had
to basically translate this to local practice by saying "we are running this
event the way we run Kingdom events" and get the Kingdom folks to echo this,
which would have been difficult were I unknown to them.

Having said that, I don't think there's no place for Corporate in the KW
event process. I do like the idea of having Corporate recognize our informal
bid selection process for KWDS, so that folks can get a comfortable and
confident early start on planning. I do think Corporate needs to recognize
that not all Kingdoms administrate events in the same way, and not all KW
events need to have huge event staffs (KWDS 2007 had 1 autocrat, 1
exchequer, and 1 onsite coordinator, plus a handful of onsite volunteers --
a little more delegation would perhaps have made my life easier, but all was
fine in the end).

What made the Corporate process painful for KWDS 2007 was some dropped
communication early on, and later communication that started from a "cease
and desist" attitude which was unhelpful. Fortunately our bid was in good
shape, so it could be sent in pretty much unchanged; we were quickly able to
get the desired letters of support, and make the requested couple of tweaks.
If the Corporate process worked as a reality check followed by a rubber
stamp, that'd be fine by me. That's what it was in the end for KWDS 2007,
but it didn't feel like that until it was over.