[SCA-Dance] Not a Known World Dance Seminar?

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jun 23 10:36:34 EDT 2009

--On Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:19 AM -0400 David Learmonth
<david.a.learmonth at gmail.com> wrote:

> - "posing" as a KW event -  Ok.  Basically, when we were having our
> issues, we were certainly considering this same proposed route, basically
> saying to everyone "what is in a name?".  However, we were informed
> additionally that the society could come down hard on us if we basically
> were running another event, but posing as a KW event.  Now, I'm not sure
> which official rules would come into play, and what sort of penalties
> there would be.  Obviously we already have some fairly large dance events
> in existance, that aren't event kingdom level, let alone KW.

What makes a Known World event different from every other event?  It's got
the name "Known World" in the title, marking it as something "approved" by
the Society on the Society level. The only way to pose as a KW event is to
put the words Known World in the title. Every event is open to every member
of the society, and there is no reason not to advertise and invite folks
from far and wide for a weekend symposium sponsored by a kingdom or local
group. If a Society officer is telling you otherwise, you should have a
firm discussion with their ombudsman.

toodles, margaret