[SCA-Dance] etiquette while lifting a lady (was The Creepy, the rude, and the weird)

Donna lgp477 at up.net
Thu Jul 23 08:17:37 EDT 2009

Really enjoying this thread!  Our little egalitarian Shire, when we
still had enough people to dance, would occasionally do the Very Unperiod
(but then so is Korobushka) "Unofficial Bransle" (aka "Toss the Knave"), and
a young gentleman who also had ballet training and I enjoyed
taking turns attempting to pitch each other toward the ceiling.  The landing
can be a stumbling block though, as Felice has said - another guy never
quite grasped that he was supposed to bend his knees on coming down.  And
the lifter does need to assist in the descent, not pile drive the partner
into the floor!  If you have sufficient interest, a tutorial in proper
lifting (i.e. how not to require the offices of a chirurgeon for either you
or your partner) can be fun.

Yep, Korobushka stories.  One year my partner at Crystal Ball knelt on the
wrong knee, I went cattywampus, and we both ended up in a heap on the floor
laughing hysterically...

Freydis