[SCA-Dance] KWDS report (What I Did on my Summer Vacation...)

Felice Debbage felicedebbage at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 16:40:05 EDT 2009

Dear Urraca and Others,

Dancers in my local area (The Barony of Middle Marches), located in
Columbus, Ohio, also have a desire to host KWDS in either 2011 or 2013. The
reason I didn't "pipe up" with this information during the announcement at
the previous known world is because my group has not yet received a decision
from our baron and baroness on whether we'll be permitted to host the event,
let alone put in a bid. Since we're still waiting to hear back from them,
and somebody suggested that we wait until Pennsic to talk about our plans, I
decided not to bring us up as of yet. I'm doing so now, though, to state
that, yes, it would be good for us to have that talk at Pennsic, although if
the only groups interested in hosting are my group and Urraca's, then
perhaps we should wait for an event that members of both groups would likely
be at. I do agree that it might be difficult for Urraca to genuinely
advocate for her group if it's being discussed at Pennsic and she cannot be
there. I know that I would be concerned if I had to send an advocate on my
own behalf, simply because that other person might not have all access to
all the answers and information necessary to really "sell" the bid on
another's behalf.

The Barony of Middle Marches would likely hold the event on the campus of
either Ohio State University or another nearby college. My local group is
affiliated with OSU, and as such, we may be able to get discounts, etc., on
the rental of spaces. There's also a brand-new student union opening up
there soon with a fabulous (or so I have heard) new ballroom (it's not
finished, anyway, so I haven't seen it yet.) I have also teamed up with a
Middle Eastern dance afficianado, and we both think it would be great for
the next KWDS to have a more prominent Middle Eastern presence. There
wouldn't be any *less* European dance compared to the last one-- just more
space and options for Middle Eastern types.

OSU is also near the Columbus Int'l airport, for far-away-folks, and it's
also great for tourist-y things for people who want to make KWDS into a
mini-vacation. I think these things can also be said for Urraca's group,
though, having just recently traveled to Indiana over Memorial Day. It's
nice!

So, at any rate, I'd would like to let it be known that The Barony of Middle
Marches is tentatively interested in hosting, but 1) is still waiting for
their Excellencies' thoughts in this matter and 2) doesn't want to make
anybody mad or ruffle feathers over this issue. I'd been talking with Darius
about my group hosting back in May, but we could also wait until 2013 if
necessary. It might be a bit unfair to do two KWDS events in the Midrealm
back to back, though. As for 2015... I'm not sure yet. That's kind of far
into the future... Who knows where many of us will be living then...:-(

Good dancing to you all!

Ly Felice Debbage, O.G.R.
Barony of Middle Marches