[SCA-Dance] Halfe Hannikin

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Fri May 23 04:05:27 EDT 2008

At 11:34 PM 5/21/2008 -0500, tmcd at panix.com wrote:
>On Thu, 15 May 2008, Alex Clark <alexbclark at pennswoods.net> wrote:
> > At 12:02 AM 5/14/2008 -0500, tmcd at panix.com wrote:
> > >Just to make sure: does the music in the facimile match the music
> > >as I believe it's usually played in the SCA?
> >
> > Yes and no. As usual, Playford did not specify repeats within the
> > music notation, so as far as the music notation is concerned there
> > is no difference. However, the instructions clearly indicate three
> > times over that the second strain is played long enough for "sides
> > all _._ Turne your owne _:_" plus taking your new places (which, in
> > my experience, needs about one beat).
>
>You explained that in another note, that you have a turn left followed
>by a separate progression.  I feel that it's awkward and less likely
>to have "zero-beat moves" or doing a figure by stealing time from the
>next. I think a reconstruation that avoids them is likelier or at
>least smoother, other things being equal.

I'm afraid that on this point neither of us has been successfully
explaining things. My reconstruction has a progression that is not really
separate from the turn; it is an outcome of the turn. The dancers turn each
other clockwise (to the left hand as they hold both hands), and as they
come out on a tangent from that turn they overshoot their places so that
each one ends up with the next.

In practice, this turn followed by a change along the line feels almost
like turning and coming back to the starting place, and is timed
practically the same way. The biggest difference in executing it is that in
order to go along the line one lets go of hands for a moment, and then
takes hands with the next.

--
Henry of Maldon/Alex Clark