[SCA-Dance] Halfe Hannikin

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu May 22 00:34:53 EDT 2008

On Thu, 15 May 2008, Alex Clark <alexbclark at pennswoods.net> wrote:
> At 12:02 AM 5/14/2008 -0500, tmcd at panix.com wrote:
> >Just to make sure: does the music in the facimile match the music
> >as I believe it's usually played in the SCA?
>
> Yes and no. As usual, Playford did not specify repeats within the
> music notation, so as far as the music notation is concerned there
> is no difference. However, the instructions clearly indicate three
> times over that the second strain is played long enough for "sides
> all _._ Turne your owne _:_" plus taking your new places (which, in
> my experience, needs about one beat).

You explained that in another note, that you have a turn left followed
by a separate progression.  I feel that it's awkward and less likely
to have "zero-beat moves" or doing a figure by stealing time from the
next. I think a reconstruation that avoids them is likelier or at
least smoother, other things being equal.

Daniel Delicious
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com