[SCA-Dance] German evidence

Lisa Marx shusmarx at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 16 19:17:55 EDT 2008

That's one possibility I've considered. But that still wouldn't explain the manuscript.

Within the one "peasant holiday" woodcut:
-three ladies are on the left, with the gentlemen's swords on the left hip between them (couples 1, 4, and 5)
-one lady is back-to-back with her partner (couple 2)
-one lady is in front of her partner, being lifted (couple 3)
-one lady is on the right (couple 6)
-one couple is embracing, and seems to be just outside the line of couples, so it's unclear whether they are part of the dance or of the bowling going on just behind them
-music is being provided by one piper and one horn, although they are a bit harder to see.

It's a pretty busy scene, and the dance is only a small section of the overall scene.  Looking back at the whole picture, there is writing within it, and the writing is turned the correct way, with more writing underneath, also going the correct direction.  It is credited to Johann Theodor de Bry, near the end of the 16th century.

Elisa