[SCA-Dance] Sca-dance Digest, Vol 28, Issue 17

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Sun Feb 17 15:39:36 EST 2008

At 01:57 AM 2/16/2008 -0600, John-Michael Robinson opined:
><quoting> I don't understand what you mean.
>* Do you mean to imply that you know exactly who introduced sideward
>singles into some historical versions of the English Quadran Pavan, and if
>so what is your source for this?
>* Where does your conclusion about the pavane "moving forward" come from,
>and do you mean moving forward throughout, or net forward movement?
>* What do you mean about "90' turn" (and was that supposed to be "90 degree
>turn"?) and "back with one foot"? If that is supposed to refer to a
>/conversion/, it is not a clear or accurate description.
>* Finally, what do you mean about "all the other 'Pavans'"? Did you mean to
>refer specifically to modern choreographies like Dolmetsch's pavan done to
>the Earl of Salisbury tune, or do you mean all pavanes that differ from the
>criteria that you had mentioned above?
><end quote>
>
>Years ago I knew someone who knew which barony started doing the sideways
>steps because of a short dance hall.  I have forgotten over time.

They could have been switching to a different period version, unless they
were doing all the doubles forwards, in which case it could be a hybrid of
two or more period versions. In most versions of the Quadran Pavan the
singles are done to the sides, while the first double goes forwards and the
next double goes back.

>Apparently the pavan step has changed again.  When I learned it over a
>decade ago, all the movement was forward, unless doind a full pavan set
>backwards which is another modern variation.

Doing one entire sequence of SSD (which is not a "set") forwards with the
left foot first, and the next backwards with the right foot first, is a
period pavane from Arbeau, and seems to be the same as one version of the
Quadran Pavan.

>Explaining the 90' turn; if as his partner takes a step forward, the guy
>takes one step back, then they both continue forward, this creates a turn to
>the left. (Also line of dance goes counterclockwise.)

Looks modern to me. It reminds me of the LoD in International Standard
Dancesport. (Except for Viennese, which still uses a traditional curved LoD.)

This might have been adapted from the period /conversion/ from Arbeau, in
which the man backs up until the couple's backs are to the direction that
they had been facing. If all couples in line do the same, then the line can
continue forward in line in the opposite direction.

>I have yet to come across a pavan other than Quadran Pavan that was not an
>SCA creation.

If, in your description of a pavan with steps going continuously forwards,
you mean that the couples go forwards together throughout the dance, that
one is period and is Arbeau's pavane, not the Quadran Pavan

--
Henry of Maldon/Alex Clark